Friday, May 8, 2009

My Past Puppies

Well, these are my past puppies that I have raised for Guide Dogs for the Blind (GDB).
I will have a whole post devoted to my current puppy, Faulkner, coming soon. The main reason for me putting them on this blog is to give anyone who may be reading some knowledge of them since I'm sure they come up again later. I honestly love every one of these puppies, no matter how long or short a time I had with them, they all managed to make me fall in love with them!



Yamaha- 4E57x
black lab, male
Working Guide

I got Yamaha as a transfer pup when he was 10 months old. I only had him in my life for about 7 months, but he was amazing. He taught me SO much about training dogs and mostly about patience! Yamaha is currently working as a guide.






















Baskin- 4J32
black lab, male
Working Guide

I started working with Baskin when he was 8 weeks old, but he lived with another member of our club (4 Paws for Freedom) until he was 4 moths (16 weeks) old. He was a very easy going pup who was there for me through some though surgery. He was the puppy to teach me the most about starting out with basic obedience. Baskin is currently a guide working with Dawn and I still hear from them occasionally!






















Donna-455L
yellow lab, female
Working Guide

I worked with Donna for about 5 months. I got her when she was 4 months old and then transferred her to a brand new raiser in the club. Being the easy girl that she is, she was the perfect fit for a brand new raiser who wanted to be able to learn the basics and take her dog to school right away. The raiser that she went to, Emily, was the one to go to her graduation. Donna is currently working as a guide.























Chantilly (Tilly for short)- 49N1
yellow lab, female
Working Guide

Chantilly was the first dog that I was responsible for housebreaking. And boy did she teach me a lot about it! She was a more difficult puppy, but I loved her very dearly. When she was 5 months old, she was still having quite a bit of trouble with self confidence and we had to talk to Guide Dogs about it. They decided that they wanted her closer to the campus for closer examination. Of course, by the time that she was transferred, she was doing much better. It was very tempting to change my mind about it, but if I had, I wouldn't have gotten the chance to work with Gene. Chantilly was my pirate puppy and is currently working as a guide with Erica whom I get to talk to all the time!





















Gene- 43M4
black lab, male
Working Guide

Gene was quite possibly my favorite puppy that I've been involved in raising. I love them all, but this boy has the best personality! He is quirky. But he was paired with a lady just as quirky! I was the third or fourth raiser that Gene was sent to. He was having some behavioral issues because he was with a brand new raiser family who didn't quite know what to do with so much personality. I completely understand their hardship because, even though he was my fifth puppy, he gave me a run for my money too! Getting to Gene's graduation was hard because I wasn't feeling too well and my mother was going to be out of the country. Luckily, my dad and I were able to work out a way to be there which was amazing! Gene is currently a working guide.

No comments: